Donuts are awesome. 65-calorie, healthy-ish donuts are why I’m sitting here writing my first ever blog post…..something I said I’d NEVER do. However, my love of sweets and baking combined with my desire to not develop coronary artery disease has somehow gotten me here….blogging….sorry old me.
Today the babes and I are making Healthyish, Classroom Friendly Birthday Donuts for some friends to take to school. Birthday treats are much more fun when everyone can be included!
When it comes to baking, I label everything healthy-ish….because even the cleanest recipes are no substitute for good ol’ fashioned fruits and veg in their natural form.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free
Tiny hands always find their way into my mixing bowls…
And by bowls I mean bowl, singular, because ain’t nobody got time fo dishes #queenofonebowlrecipes
Some people are fancy. But I’m all about that ZipLoc life when piping anything…
Donut pans are super cheap on Amazon Prime…like 9 dollars, or 12, or 14, I don’t remember but totally worth it
Finest ZipLoc piping job west of the Mississippi…..I swore I’d never say things my parents used to say….like west of the Mississippi
And now for the most crucial step to make sure your donuts turn out perfectly, put them in the oven and bake them instead of eating the batter.
“Mommy, what’s that?” – kid who knows exactly what that but is trying to subtly hint that he wants one now rather than waiting until they’re cooled and iced
And chocolate too because, chocolate. Same recipe, just use Chocolate JPC instead of Vanilla.
Kind of looks like poop tbh
“Oooohhhh Mommy, what is that??” – kid who has already had one donut because mommy has no spine
three dozen….the guys in the middle are having identity crises.
iced, sprinkled, and ready to party….without the sugar high! You’re welcome, teachers.
Prep & Cook times: enough time to empty dishwasher, tuck kids in for nap, and think about shit you should be getting done around the house instead of food blogging
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup Truvia
- 2 large eggs, or small, or whatever honestly who cares???? and who the hell knows the exact point at which a small egg crosses over into the large egg classification
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (almond, cashew, etc…)
- 2 cups gluten-free flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1)
- 1 full scoop French Vanilla or Dutch Chocolate Juice Plus Complete
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 full scoops French Vanilla or Dutch Chocolate Juice Plus Complete
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
Make the Donuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and spray donut pan with olive oil sprayer (canned non-stick spray is gross)
- Combine butter, oil, and Truvia in a large bowl and whisk until smooth
- Add eggs, vanilla, and milk and whisk until smooth
- Add remaining dry ingredients and whisk until just combined, batter will be thick
- Pipe batter into greased donut pan using fancy piping method referenced above and bake for 7 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes
Make the Icing
- Combine JPC and milk, whisk until smooth
- Once donuts have cooled, add icing
- Wait an hour before eating donuts to let icing set…..HAHAHAHA jk who the hell can actually wait an hour before eating something they just slaved over???